International Offshore Refresher, or Offshore Upgrade
Day one (Saturday) classwork
satisfies the US Sailing Offshore Certificate requirements. Day one will take place at Muskegon Country Club, accessed via 2159 Cottage Grove, Muskegon, MI (using their Lakeshore Drive address/Google search will not get you where you need to go). Attendance is limited to 150 persons. Continental breakfast and boxed lunch provided. Cost is $185
Saturday training for the US Sailing Offshore certificate includes:
- Damage Prevention and Control
- Weather Forecasting and Features
- Handling Heavy Weather and Storm Sails
- Emergency Medical Care and Hypothermia
- Heavy Weather and Storm Sails
- MOB Prevention and Recovery
Day two (Sunday) Hands-On training
is necessary for the US Sailing International Offshore certification or renewal of that certification. Day two will take place at Muskegon Yacht Club, 3198 Edgewater Drive, Muskegon, MI. Participation is limited to 50 persons. Continental breakfast and lunch is provided. Cost is $225.
The Hands-On Training includes:
- Lessons Learned & Updates: Lessons learned from recent incidents. Updates on important safety requirements and communications items.
- Damage Control: The course covers typical damage control techniques and equipment.
- Firefighting and Emergency Signaling (Flares): This session discusses fire prevention and firefighting and review of flares.
- Safety Equipment: This session will review standard emergency, safety and personal equipment.
- PFD’s, Water Survival, and Life Rafts: This session will start with reviewing the proper wearing of your PFD and tether. You will then enter the pool with your foul weather gear and PFD to experience the inflation and use of your PFD. You will practice righting, boarding, and working as a crew in a life raft.
- USCG Communications and SAR: Covers emergency communications and USCG Search and Rescue.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO RENEW MY CERTIFICATION IF I ATTENDED THE 2017 MYC SEMINAR?
If you attended our 2017 seminar and attended only day one classwork at Muskegon Community College, you will need to attend day one again.
If you attended both day one and two in 2017 and jumped in the MYC pool (or took day one online and jumped in the MYC pool on day two), renewing that International Offshore certification requires participation in day two only.
More information here:
OPTIONAL – NOT REQUIRED:
The Safety at Sea Guide. This 220-page book was written to accompany US Sailing’s Safety at Sea course, which shares best practices with both aspiring and experienced offshore sailors.
The cost is $25.95 (excl. tax).
Guide can be purchased here
Digital version of Guide can be purchased here