The start of MYC Junior Program activities has been postponed until at least July 6, 2020. Meanwhile, we are closely monitoring State and Federal mandates and guidance and will make announcements about future classes as soon as possible. Please check back here often and follow our Facebook page to receive the latest announcements. Thank you for your patience!
2020 One Week Junior Race Camp (cancelled for 2020)
One week only June 15-18 12:00pm – 4:00pm each day
- Race Camp is open to all past and current MYC Race Team members, MYC Sailing School students, and others who wish to give racing a try.
- Race Camp is the perfect opportunity for experienced youth sailors to “get back in their groove” at the beginning of the summer.
- Race Camp is also a perfect opportunity for youth who have sailed but have never done so competitively to give racing a try in a safe, supportive and fun setting.
- Sailors will sail on Optimist, Butterfly and Laser sailboats.
- All sailors will receive classroom and extensive on-the-water coaching that is uniquely targeted to each sailor’s skill level.
- Four afternoons of race knowledge, practice and fun-filled camaraderie is just $100 per sailor.
- See the to register for this session. You can also register for this session on the MYC Sailing School web page.
2020 Wednesday afternoon MYC Junior Race Team practices
Every Wednesday night June 17 – August 12 3:00pm – 5:30pm
- Wednesday afternoon Race Team practices provide members of the MYC Junior Race Team a weekly opportunity to hone their skills and enjoy the camaraderie of the team.
- The focus of these sessions will be on boat speed, tactics, starts and other racing skills.
- Optimist, Butterfly and Laser sailors will all receive training from the Coaches.
- Many Junior sailors already sail as crew on big boats on Wed nights – so Junior practices link nicely with the kids’ Wed night racing experiences.
- A one-time fee of $80 per sailor for the entire season of eight Wed night practices makes this a great value!!
- See the 2020 Race Team Registration Form to register for Race Team Practices.
2020 Racing Opportunities
Fees for the following racing opportunities are listed at the bottom of this page and on the 2020 Race Team Registration Form
2020 Junior Races at MYC (Optis, Butterflies, Laser Radial, Laser Full Rig)
- TENTATIVE: August 15: Ulrich Memorial “Above the Crowd” Regatta (Optis, Buttterflies, Lasers).
2020 West Michigan Youth Sailing Association Regattas (Optis, Butterflies, Lasers, Club 420s)
- June 26 – Friday Regatta #1 (at Macatawa Bay YC) CANCELLED
- July 10 – Friday Regatta #2 (at Spring Lake YC) CANCELLED
- July 24 – Friday Regatta #3 (at Muskegon YC)
- Aug 9 – Friday Regatta #4 (at White Lake YC)
For more information about the WMYSA, go to West Michigan Youth Sailing
Other 2020 Regattas and Events of interest to Juniors
- July 14-16: Open & Junior Butterfly Nationals (at Spring Lake YC)
- Aug 6-98: WMYA Westerns (Optis, Butterflies, Lasers)(at Torch Lake YC)
- October 9-11: US Sailing Junior Olympics (Optis, Lasers)(at Macatawa Bay YC)
- WMYSA, WMYA, Butterfly Nationals and Junior Olympics regattas will present awards at those events.
- Don Ulrich Memorial – Above the Crowd Regatta awards to be presented at MYC at the close of the event.
- MYC Season Junior Trophies for Opti, Butterfly, Laser Radial, and Laser Full Classes will be scored as a series based upon each sailor’s performance in all the WMYSA Friday Regattas and the Saturday Regatta at MYC. Season Awards will be presented on a date and time yet to be determined.
The following fees will apply to participation and/or use of MYC boats for the Saturday Regattas at MYC:
- Opti charter $25 per Saturday
- Butterfly charter $25 per Saturday
- sailors who sail their own boats $10 per Saturday
The following fees will apply to participation and/or use of MYC boats at WMYSA Friday regattas:
- Opti charter $65 per Friday
- Butterfly charter $65 per Friday
- sailors who sail their own boats $25 per Friday
Note: Boat charter fees for other regattas can be found on the 2020 Race Team Registration Form