After extensive research and abundant, heartfelt deliberation, the West Michigan Youth Sailing Association has decided to cancel all regattas for the summer of 2020. This means that the MYC Junior Race Team will not be racing this summer. As everyone can imagine, this was a very difficult decision to make.
Our number one priority has always been the safety of our young sailors and our coaching staff. To be sure, the Covid-19 pandemic has significantly magnified the importance of conducting our programs in a safe and responsible manner. The appropriate or required preventative measures such as limited group sizes, social-distancing, staff training, extensive equipment sanitization and daily health documentation are simply too cumbersome for us to consistently and confidently accomplish.
Meanwhile, please encourage your young sailors to spend as much time on the water as is safely possible.
Thanks to everyone for your patience and support! We remain hopeful that we will be able to resume full operations in 2021.
2020 One Week Junior Race Camp (cancelled for 2020)
One week only 12:00pm – 4:00pm each day
- Race Camp is open to all past and current MYC Race Team members, MYC Sailing School students, and others who wish to give racing a try.
- Race Camp is the perfect opportunity for experienced youth sailors to “get back in their groove” at the beginning of the summer.
- Race Camp is also a perfect opportunity for youth who have sailed but have never done so competitively to give racing a try in a safe, supportive and fun setting.
- Sailors will sail on Optimist, Butterfly and Laser sailboats.
- All sailors will receive classroom and extensive on-the-water coaching that is uniquely targeted to each sailor’s skill level.
- Four afternoons of race knowledge, practice and fun-filled camaraderie is just $100 per sailor.
- See the to register for this session. You can also register for this session on the MYC Sailing School web page.
2020 Wednesday afternoon MYC Junior Race Team practices (by invitation only for 2020)
Every Wednesday night July 6 – August 12 3:00pm – 5:30pm
- Wednesday afternoon Race Team practices provide members of the MYC Junior Race Team a weekly opportunity to hone their skills and enjoy the camaraderie of the team.
- The focus of these sessions will be on boat speed, tactics, starts and other racing skills.
- Optimist, Butterfly and Laser sailors will all receive training from the Coaches.
- Many Junior sailors already sail as crew on big boats on Wed nights – so Junior practices link nicely with the kids’ Wed night racing experiences.
- A one-time fee per sailor for the entire season of eight Wed night practices makes this a great value!!
2020 Racing Opportunities
Fees for the following racing opportunities are listed at the bottom of this page and on the 2020 Race Team Registration Form
2020 Junior Races at MYC (Optis, Butterflies, Laser Radial, Laser Full Rig)
- TENTATIVE: August 15: Ulrich Memorial “Above the Crowd” Regatta (Optis, Buttterflies, Lasers).
2020 West Michigan Youth Sailing Association Regattas (Optis, Butterflies, Lasers, Club 420s)
- June 26 – Friday Regatta #1 (at Macatawa Bay YC) CANCELLED
- July 10 – Friday Regatta #2 (at Spring Lake YC) CANCELLED
- July 24 – Friday Regatta #3 (at Muskegon YC) CANCELLED
- Aug 9 – Friday Regatta #4 (at White Lake YC) CANCELLED
For more information about the WMYSA, go to West Michigan Youth Sailing
Other 2020 Regattas and Events of interest to Juniors
- July 14-16: Open & Junior Butterfly Nationals (at Spring Lake YC) CANCELLED
- Aug 6-98: WMYA Westerns (Optis, Butterflies, Lasers)(at Torch Lake YC) CANCELLED
- October 9-11: US Sailing Junior Olympics (Optis, Lasers)(at Macatawa Bay YC)
- WMYSA, WMYA, Butterfly Nationals and Junior Olympics regattas will present awards at those events.
- Don Ulrich Memorial – Above the Crowd Regatta awards to be presented at MYC at the close of the event.
- MYC Season Junior Trophies for Opti, Butterfly, Laser Radial, and Laser Full Classes will be scored as a series based upon each sailor’s performance in all the WMYSA Friday Regattas and the Saturday Regatta at MYC. Season Awards will be presented on a date and time yet to be determined.
The following fees apply to participation and/or use of MYC boats for the Saturday Regattas at MYC:
- Opti charter $25 per Saturday
- Butterfly charter $25 per Saturday
- sailors who sail their own boats $10 per Saturday
The following fees apply to participation and/or use of MYC boats at WMYSA Friday regattas:
- Opti charter $65 per Friday
- Butterfly charter $65 per Friday
- sailors who sail their own boats $25 per Friday
Note: Boat charter fees for other regattas can be found on the 2020 Race Team Registration Form